What happened to Rick Ness on Gold Rush?

May 2024 · 3 minute read

An iconic character from the Gold Rush series named Rick Ness experienced some turbulent moments in the previous year.

Questions were raised about his absence from the 13th season of Gold Rush as well as this period of difficult emotional and financial circumstances.

As a result, fans frequently question, “What happened to Rick Ness?” This story provides insight into his struggles and planned comeback to the well-liked Discovery Channel series.

The renowned Gold Rush actor Rick Ness recently experienced several personal and professional setbacks.

To fully appreciate the seriousness of Rick Ness’s situation, it is imperative to comprehend the scope of these difficulties.

Rick Ness’s battle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

Rick was open about his struggles with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

It’s unusual for Gold Rush cast members to make such public confessions, making Rick’s admission all the more noteworthy.

It was extremely emotionally taxing, which was made worse by his struggle with seasonal affective disorder.

The depth of their friendship might be seen in Zaremba’s apparent irritation with Rick’s difficulties.

What happened to Rick Ness on Gold Rush?

Rick Ness decided to withdraw from the spotlight, especially after the 13th season of Gold Rush. He chose this because he needed time to contemplate and deal with his own loss.

He decided to take a year off from work to prioritize his mental health. He needed time to reflect and overcome his losses, which his absence from Gold Rush’s 13th season provided.

In the fourteenth season of Gold Rush, Rick has returned.

He has a newfound passion for transforming his situation in the mining industry.

Ness’ struggle with mental health

Days before the premiere of Gold Rush’s new season, Ness, 42, spoke with PEOPLE about his experience with mental health.

“I was experiencing some mental health problems. He acknowledges that several things were happening. “I’m a gold miner, which carries a stigma. Do you understand how I don’t truly ask for assistance? I’ve always had that attitude.

Additionally, I was experiencing some mental issues that I could not identify because I had no prior experience with depression or similar conditions. I figured I’d handle it myself and attempt to figure it out, which is difficult when you don’t know what you’re up against.

In the months and years after Rick Ness’s mother’s cancer death at age 55 in 2018, the Gold Rush actor fought valiantly to regain his footing.

The seasoned gold miner went through a period of mental turmoil that led to depression, which he addressed at the beginning of the 13th season of the reality series. 

Ness needed a break

To spend “a lot of time” alone and cope with his mother’s passing, Ness decided to take a year off from work and mostly vanished from Gold Rush’s 13th season.

However, taking a break might result in falling behind and possibly losing millions of dollars earned through hard labor to rivals in the intensely competitive field of gold mining.

However, the popular reality show contestant believed he was forced to slow down.

He continues, “If I hadn’t, the direction this train was running [in] was not a good one,” adding that several factors, including “the stress of this business,” overtook him. “I needed to step back. Though it was bad for business, it worked out well for me. Finally, I just have to say that I’m lucky to get another go at this.

In an audacious effort to reclaim some of his previous grandeur, Ness returns to gold mining in season 14 by selling his mother’s home and rebuilding his company.

ncG1vNJzZmiolZq9tMPIs2Wcp51kwbd71qGYrWWYlr2xsc2em2asn2K%2Fqq%2FKZqWeq6NivK95xqijnWWiqsCpew%3D%3D