Royals Lyrics: The Meaning and Story Behind Lordes Biggest Hit

May 2024 · 4 minute read

Royals is a song by Lorde, a New Zealand singer and songwriter.

It was released in 2013 as the lead single from her debut album, Pure Heroine.

Royals became a global phenomenon, topping the charts in many countries and winning several awards, including two Grammys.

It is also Lorde’s biggest hit to date, with over one billion streams on Spotify.

Here is what you need to know about Royals lyrics and the meaning and story behind them.

What is the meaning behind the song Royals?

The meaning behind the song Royals is that Lorde wanted to express her dissatisfaction with the glamorous and materialistic lifestyle that is often portrayed in pop music and culture.

She said that she wrote the song after seeing a photo of baseball player George Brett in a National Geographic magazine, wearing a shirt that said “Royals”.

Lorde said:

“It was just that word. It’s really cool”.

She also said that she was inspired by her own upbringing in a suburban town in New Zealand, where she felt disconnected from the lavish and extravagant world of celebrities and royalty.

She said:

“I’ve never seen a diamond in the flesh / I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies / And I’m not proud of my address / In a torn-up town, no postcode envy”.

Lorde also said that she wanted to celebrate her own identity and values, rather than aspire to be someone else.

She said:

“But every song’s like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin’ in the bathroom / Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin’ the hotel room / We don’t care, we’re driving Cadillacs in our dreams / But everybody’s like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece / Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash / We don’t care, we aren’t caught up in your love affair”.

How old is Lorde when she made Royals?

Lorde was only 16 years old when she made the Royals.

She wrote the song with her producer Joel Little in July 2012, when she was still in high school.

Lorde recorded the song in Little’s studio in Auckland, New Zealand, using minimal instrumentation and production.

She said that she wanted to keep the song simple and catchy.

Lorde released the song online for free in November 2012, as part of her debut EP, The Love Club.

The song quickly gained popularity online and attracted the attention of several record labels.

She signed with Universal Music Group and released Royals as her first official single in June 2013.

What is Lorde’s biggest hit?

Lorde’s biggest hit is Royals, which became a worldwide smash and made her an overnight star.

The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in October 2013, making Lorde the youngest solo artist to top the chart since Tiffany in 1987.

Royals song also topped the charts in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and several other countries.

The song also received critical acclaim and won many awards, such as two Grammys for Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance, an MTV Video Music Award for Best Rock Video, and a Brit Award for Best International Female Solo Artist.

The song also sold over 10 million copies worldwide and was certified diamond by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

It also became one of the most streamed songs of all time on Spotify, with over one billion streams as of 2021.

What was Lorde’s first song?

Lorde’s first song was The Love Club, which was released online for free in November 2012, as part of her debut EP of the same name.

The song was written by Lorde and Joel Little and was inspired by Lorde’s experience of joining a group of friends at school.

She said:

“I joined this big friend group of people who were really awesome and smart and everything I wanted to be … And then I realized that actually, they weren’t very nice people”.

The song was a moderate success online and received positive reviews from critics.

It also reached number two on the New Zealand Singles Chart and number 25 on the Australian Singles Chart.

The song was later included on Lorde’s debut album, Pure Heroine, which was released in September 2013.

The album also featured Royals and other hit songs such as Tennis Court, Team, and Glory and Gore.

Royals lyrics are about Lorde’s rejection of the glamorous and materialistic lifestyle that is often glorified in pop music and culture.

She wrote the song when she was 16 years old after seeing a photo of George Brett wearing a shirt that said “Royals”.

Lorde also drew inspiration from her own upbringing in a suburban town in New Zealand.

The song became a global phenomenon and won several awards, including two Grammys.

It is also Lorde’s biggest hit to date, with over one billion streams on Spotify.

If you found this article impressive follow our blog for more articles:

ncG1vNJzZmibnq6urMHNnaBnm5%2BifLO72JqjrGWcrr%2Bqr9Jo