Why Was Charlie Leduff Fired From Detroit News?

May 2024 · 3 minute read

Charles Royal LeDuff is an American journalist, writer and media personality. LeDuff has won a Pulitzer Prize and other important journalism awards. Recently he was fired from his job and in this post, you will know the reason behind it.

Why Was Charlie Leduff Fired?

Charlie LeDuff, the controversial Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter was fired from the Detroit News for using a rude code word pointed at Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel.

Detroit News legend Charlie LeDuff won’t back down from his coded vulgar tweet.

The Detroit News fired LeDuff over the weekend over a tweet that subtly referenced the c-word.https://t.co/rLKV52iOgF

— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) October 23, 2023

Gary Miles, editor and owner of the Detroit News told reporters in an email that LeDuff had been fired. Miles wrote:

“While we stand by the journalism that we have published under his byline, I could not envision moving forward with his weekly column in light of recent events.”

LeDuff had worked for the Detroit News for a long time, but this event was the last day of his job there. Many people, both for and against him had strong responses to what he did. Journalists quickly spoke out against LeDuff’s insult.

Detroit News politics editor Chad Livengood tweeted, “This is disgusting and reprehensible, charlie LeDuff should do us all a favor and resign.”

This is disgusting and reprehensible.@Charlieleduff should do us all a favor and resign. https://t.co/cXUS1kNgH5

— Chad Livengood (@ChadLivengood) October 21, 2023

Senator Dayna Polehanki retweeted his post with a caption, “Politics editor at @detroitnews calls on @Charlieleduff to resign after LeDuff calls Michigan’s Attorney General a c***.”

Politics editor at @detroitnews calls on @Charlieleduff to resign after LeDuff calls Michigan’s Attorney General a c***. https://t.co/6phu3fbKN6

— Senator Dayna Polehanki (@SenPolehanki) October 21, 2023

If you want to know which other stars leave their shows then you can check out our below posts:

What Did Charlie Leduff Say After Being Fired?

Charlie LeDuff is apologetic over his firing from the Detroit News—but not for what he was fired over. LeDuff was defiant and said he thought the insult was clever because his weekly column was published on Tuesdays. LeDuff said:

“I’m not apologizing. I have nothing to apologize for. … I stand by it, I said something clever on my own space because I am f_cking p_ssed.”

A column in last week’s Detroit News by LeDuff said that Nessel subtly pressured her staff to close an investigation into Traci Kornack, a friend and personal injury lawyer who is also the treasurer of the Michigan Democratic Party.

Kornack was accused of stealing almost $50,000 from an insurance company by using the account of an old client with brain damage. A day after the column came out, Nessel denied any wrongdoing in a news release.

In a letter to the Detroit News, her acting top legal counsel, Linus Banghart-Linn accused LeDuff of bad journalism and sensationalism. Banghart-Linn’s letter read:

“The opinion piece published yesterday not only fails to achieve any public good or ‘sunshine’ on the work of government, but irresponsibly twists half-understood and fully fabricated notions of the Department to the detriment of public trust in their State government.”

For more information related to these kinds of topics, you can follow us on Twitter and check out our latest posts.

ncG1vNJzZmiulaPBtr7Eo6alrF6YvK57kWlpbGdhZXxzgY6cn5qqnJ6ybrjEnayfnl2btrOxw2g%3D