E Jean Carroll Photo Trumps Case Of Mistaken Identity

May 2024 · 3 minute read

In a partially unsealed transcript from her defamation lawsuit, former President Trump mistook an image of his ex-wife Marla Maples from the 1980s with E. Jean Carroll’s photo that was taken around the same time.

E. Jean Carroll, the columnist who has accused the former president of r*pe and is suing him for defamation, recently appeared to have been mistaken by Donald Trump for one of his ex-wives Marla Maples. 

After marrying in 1993, Donald Trump and Marla Maples would unfortunately part ways in 1999 after six years together. This recent incident provided an interesting glimpse into how Trump viewed E. Jean Carroll’s photo (not as a journalist but) with similar compositional lines to that of his former wife.

Caroll claims he s*xually assaulted her more than two decades ago during a deposition. 

Carroll might use his mistake in his trial testimony on October 19 to refute Trump’s assertion that she isn’t his type.

The evidence was quoted by her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, in a censored document that was made public on Wednesday, January 12, 2023, however, it was filed weeks ago.

Last week, Judge Lewis Kaplan ordered other portions of the deposition unsealed, ruling that Trump did not have a reason to keep them out of the public record in the case.

Kaplan has scheduled a trial in Carroll’s lawsuits to begin in April.

The case of mistaken identity

According to a newly released transcript, Trump confused the two ladies when he was shown a picture from 1987 during a deposition last year. 

Despite Trump’s repeated claims that he couldn’t have assaulted Carroll because she was not his type,  there was still a case of mistaken identity. 

Trump stated that Marla was his wife when he was shown Caroll’s picture by Roberta Klan during the deposition in October 2022 at Mar-a-Lago.

‘When I say she’s not my type, I say she is not a woman I would ever be attracted to,’ Trump said in the deposition. 

‘I just — it’s not even meant to be an insult. Now, some people would be attracted to her perhaps. I would never be attracted to her.’

Caroll sues Trump for s*xual assault

Carroll has filed two lawsuits against Trump, the Republican candidate for president in 2024, in a federal court in Manhattan, alleging that he has defamed her by misrepresenting her statements and ostensible motives. 

The first lawsuit was brought in 2019 after Trump initially refuted her claims, and the second was brought this past fall following the reiteration of his assertions regarding her purpose.

She is also suing him for battery and the alleged r*pe itself.

Carroll, 79, initially claimed that Trump, who was president at the time, had s*xually assaulted her in a changing room at the Bergdorf Goodman department store in Manhattan in 1995 or 1996 after a chance encounter in the store in a 2019 magazine article. 

Trump, 76, refuted her assertions and charged Carroll with lying. He added that Carroll’s motivation for leveling the accusations was political hatred and a desire to increase book sales.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunCxjKOcmqZdmK6zvs6lo2aomKTBsHs%3D