Robert Newman Join The Cast Of The Young And The Restless As Ashland Locke

May 2024 · 4 minute read

The Young and the Restless cast welcomes Robert Newman to the show. The former Guiding Light actor took over the role of Ashland Locke, substituting Richard Burgi. Newman made his debut on February 9, and his performance is already gaining a lot of attention.

Newman had big shoes to fill in The Young and the Restless role. Spectators have come to adore Burgi as the infamous businessman and were skeptical of Newman’s recast. However, Newman proved doubters wrong with his debut.

The Guiding Light star proved he’s still one of the best actors in daytime television. Fans instantly lit up Twitter with positive feedback on Newman’s performance as Ashland. “Robert Newman made the transition look easy. His scenes with Victor and Adam strong” wrote one viewer.

I thought he was great-I’ll miss Richard Burgi, but I completely believed Robert Newman as Ashland too,” another commenter replied.

Newman Could Not Resist When Asked For His Ashland Locke Role

It’s been 12 years since Newman was last on daytime television. His previous soap opera presence came in September 2009 during Guiding Light’s final episode, where Josh and Reva Shayne (Kim Zimmer) drove off into the sunset.

Newman couldn’t resist when the opportunity came for The Young and the Restless, Newman couldn’t resist. Although Ashland departs from Newman’s good guy characters, the actor prepared extensively for his role. One thing he didn’t do was watch Burgi’s old performances as Ashland.

In an interview with Soap Opera Digest, he spoke of his decision not to watch any Burgi scenes. “I would prefer not to watch another actor play the role. I just think I need to figure this guy out in my body and my voice and my countenance.”

One thing Newman did want to know is Ashland’s relationship with Victoria Newman (Amelia Heinle). Newman and Heinle have already clicked, and he had kind words for his onscreen wife. “I already adore her. She’s really terrific, and she’s a professional through and through.”

The Character Of Ashland Locke

Newman’s The Young and the Restless debut comes at a pivotal time for his character. Ashland and Victoria are on top of the world as they become the new owners of Newman Media. 

However, their world will come crashing down as Ashland’s past catches up with him.

Victor Newman (Eric Braeden) is suspicious of his son-in-law’s illness and miraculous treatments. The Moustache’s suspicions rise further after Michael Baldwin (Christian LeBlanc) discovers Ashland is funding the Peru clinic where he receives his treatments. 

As many fans predicted, Ashland lied about his illness and is with Victoria for her money.

The walls are closing in on Ashland, and there’s no telling how far he’ll go to keep his secret.

Who Is Robert Newman?

Robert Newman is a British political activist, comedian, and author. Newman first found stardom with The Mary Whitehouse Experience before starting a successful comedy partnership with David Baddiel in the early 1990s.

In 1993, Newman and his then comedy partner David Baddiel became the first comedian to play and sell out the 12,000-seat Wembley Arena in London. Newman’s first speaking appearance was with Third World First (now known as People and Planet), the student political organization.

Robert Newman Age

Newman is 56 years old as of 2020; he was born on July 7, 1964, in Hertfordshire, England. He celebrates his birthday on July 7 every year, and Robert will be turning 58 years as of July 7, 2022.

Robert Newman Net Worth

Newman has an estimated net worth of $1.5 million as of 2022. This includes his assets, money, and income. His primary source of income is his career as a Comedian. Through his various sources of income, Newman has accumulated a good fortune but prefers to lead a modest lifestyle.

He had his first acting role in 1985 on an episode of General Hospital.

The character of Josh was initially introduced as a bad boy of sorts. With the 1983 arrival of Reva Shayne, played by Kim Zimmer, Josh and Reva became a popular “supercouple”. 

Newman and Zimmer’s characters became a principal couple on the show. Their characters were in the show’s final scene, reciting the last lines of dialogue to each other.

In addition to his role on Guiding Light, Newman also played the characters of Prescott Harrell on General Hospital and Kirk Cranston, substituting Joseph Bottoms on Santa Barbara in 1986.

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7t7XZmpqaZpOkunCywKeqZqSfq7Juvs6bnKusXaOyuLnAp2Saq12WwKm4wKebZqSfmLimew%3D%3D